Sunday, June 24, 2012

Date Day al la Hasselt

It's been a lil bits since Eric and I had a date day, so, we ended up heading over to Hasselt due to the fact that we were wanting to watch "Snow White and the Huntsman" at the awesome Kinepolis theater. . Not only were we wanting to catch a movie, we were jonsing for some sushi! Normally, we go up to Aachen to our favorite sushi place, Crazy Sushi, but we were willing to try out a difference place since we weren't gonna drive an hour and a half for sushi, then an hour and forty five minutes to catch a movie, lol.


After looking up information on a sushi place, I realized that there was an Oil & Vinegar store as well as The Body Shop within a short distance from where we were gonna eat. SCORE! We were needing to hit up both of them since Eric swears by The Body Shops shaving cream, and I was needing to top off our garlic olive oil bottle.  Done and done!

My three favorite were places right next to one another! EEEEEE!!! The Body Shop, Panos (a sandwich place) and Oil & Vinegar. If only there was a Lush store ...le sigh... then I'd be in heaven..


While Eric went over to The Body Shop to pick up some more shaving goodies for himself, I made my way over to Oil & Vinegar. I'm seriously going to miss this place when the time comes for us to move back to the States! This particular location has TONS of Turkish seasonings and stuff to use in Tagines. Ahhhh!! They even have preserved lemons, which I need in order to make Lemon Chicken Tagine (I always forget to make lemons for it and it's a two-ish week process). SO, now I know where to go in order to get my goodies!


 We ended up finding a really killer Wasabi & Ginger sauce that I'll use the next time I make a stir fry meal. If it works out well for us, I think I'll pick up some more and send some to my Dad since I know he's a fiend for wasabi flavored things. In addition to that sauce, we also got a Chili & Garlic sauce that we'll be test driving tonight with some eye of round we'll be cooking up. Of course, we got another liter of our beloved garlic olive oil and I even got a REALLY cool glass bottle to store it in. I have a Polish pottery bottle that holds my walnut olive oil in it, so I thought it'd work out to have a different kind of bottle to hold the garlic one :)


By the time we finished up at those stores, it was time to make our way over to Oishii's, which is a sushi bar & grill. Apparently, it's been around since 2010...which blows my mind cause I must've walked past it dozens of times and never noticed it, lol.


I was loving the paper lanterns they had hanging over our seating area! Tons of cherry blossoms everywhere :)


Juuuuuuust in case anyone was interested in going to Oishii's, I snapped a picture of their sushi menu. I tried finding their menu listed on their website as well as prices, but they weren't listed which made it a lil hard to figure out what we were looking at in terms of cost. Given, they're a little expensive compared to other sushi establishments, but after having some great conversations with the waitress that worked with us..it turns out that labor costs in Belgium are much higher than those in Germany. They actually have another place in Aachen (go figure!) and most of the items on their menu are half the price as to what they are in Hasselt. Good to know!

If you're really wanting to know what the menu says, you can translate it yourself :)


Eric ended up ordering the "Best Friend Special Rolls" and LOVED it! Given, only one of the rolls was deep fried (his sort of thing), but he really enjoyed the flavor since none of them had that overly "fishy" taste like some rolls have. If you know my husband, you know he can eat like a machine. Shockingly enough, these filled him up! I'm IMPRESSED!



I ordered myself a Volcano Roll as well as a Tempura Roll...they were AWESOME and definitely hit the spot for me!


We were the only customers in the place and the staff was amazing! I think we hung out in there for an hour and a half because we got caught up in people watching and talking with the waitress about the sushi making classes that they offered. In fact, I'm actually trying to get a group of people together from our base for a class there later this year (thinking around September) since it'd be a lot of fun. Might as well if you're a fan of sushi, right? I'm definitely looking forward it!

Speaking of people watching....when we were on our way back to the parking garage to head over to the movie theater, I couldn't help myself and snapped a picture of this couple. YES, a couple was dressed like this. I'm the furthest from being a fashionista, but come on. What's with the fad that's going on right now with pastel skinny jeans. I mean, really? The wife (top picture) was wearing a hot orange shirt with an oatmeal colored cardigan while wearing teal pants...while her husband was wearing a blue stripped dress shirt, grass green cardigan with orange jeans.



REALLY.

Made it to the movie and was pretty pleased with it. I think the only thing that kinda made me laugh was that Kristen Stewart really didn't have that many lines. Think about it..she's running alot, looking frightened, smiling, then dances around with dwarfs, then sleeps after she bites the apple. After that, she comes back to life, makes a speech before raging into battle and wins. When she's crowned Queen, she doesn't say anything to address her subjects! Just....what!? LOL. I'll give her credit though..her facial expressions have vastly improved since the whole Twilight series.


To top off a fantastic day, we spotted a P-51 Mustang taking off from Genk's airport when we were heading back home.


  

 Ahhhhhh..I love date days :)


 

0 comments: