Sunday, May 23, 2010

Opps!

Is it bad that I completely forgot about a place that Dad and I went to? I mean, I COMPLETELY brain farted!

Last month, Eric, Dad and myself went on a group trip to the Keukenhof Gardens over in The Netherlands. It's a pretty famous place due to their tulips (hybrid breeds and traditional styles) and each year they change the theme of the park (this year it was "From Russia with Love"). When we went with the group, none of us knew about a massive flower festival that was taking place the very same day...so...everyone and their mother was there. Hoards and hoards of pushy (older) patrons, elbow to elbow and all trying to cram into the same area. In all honesty, it wasn't a pleasure being there. 

Between getting stuck in traffic just to get TO Keukenhof (we were stuck on the off ramp for an hour and we were only 10 minutes from the actual place) and waiting forever for our bus to park, we only had an hour to actually look around the park. Kinda sucky. It was so crammed that you couldn't even take any decent pictures of the tulips without someone walking right in front of your shot or bumping you. I essentially gave up the notion of taking ANY pictures cause the whole process was pissing me off. 

When our bus was on it's way out, I saw this bus...atleast that made me laugh, hahaaa

After the gardens, we all piled back onto the bus and headed over to a cheese & clog factory that was another hour away. First we checked out the cheese factory and had a pretty educational demonstration from a dairy maid. Then we were led into a room where they had various types of cheeses you can purchase.
 
  Dairy Maid talking about the process of making their cheeeeeeese
 Cheese Store ...they had tons of awesome stuff (we spent a mint in here) and I highly recommend going to their website if you're interested in unique flavors: Cheese goodness

We managed to get an interesting demonstration on how they make clogs by a gentleman who had a really thick Hispanic accent (when he first came in, he was speaking Dutch). Talk about a mind warp, lol.

The guy talking about the clogs:
 The room where he gave the live demonstration:

Once he was done with that, we ventured into the next room where we were able to pick up some pretty cool clogs for ourselves (yes, they're actually wearable). This is a picture of the ceiling, lol
I got myself a pair of traditional wedding clogs since they were carved with intricate designs, while Eric got himself a pair that looked like big shoes.

SO..since the Keukenhof was kind of a bust for us, Dad and I figured we'd go back a few days later. Sadly, Eric wasn't able to go with us since he had to work. 

I'm SO glad we went back! It was a complete 180* compared to how it was a few days prior! The weather was gorgeous, there were tourists but not nearly as swamped as before, and we were able to take some beautiful shots throughout the park. The following pictures HAVE NOT been edited / enhanced! It's the flowers natural color with natural light:

Dad being Mr. Photographer
I dunno why, but I really liked this Bull statue, lol

By the way, Dad and I went back on a Wednesday...and a few other people I've talked to have also gone back during the middle of the week rather than the weekend. SO, if you're ever in The Netherlands and wanna check out the Keukenhof, go during the middle of the week, not on the weekend. ESPECIALLY don't go on a weekend there happens to be a parade! :)





1 comments:

Kim said...

That place looks really neat! I love the pictures of the flowers :)