Sunday, April 1, 2012

International Shopper

Once again, the Bazaars are upon us! Since we've been stationed here, I've managed to make it to a few of 'em, so I know what to expect when we roll out to do some shopping. Here's a post from one that we attended last Spring

The only thing I was really wanting to pick up were some more Venetian roof tile paintings like I got last time. Luckily, the people who sell them (Bottega del Ceramista) has an online site where you can request a virtual catalog and were they're VERY helpful in terms of making an order. After corresponding through several emails with the owners son, they arranged it so I could just pick my order up from them when they reached the Spangdahlem Bazaar rather than having it ship directly to me. Normally, I'd go for the whole shipment option, but shipping from Italy to Belgium would be expensive because of the whole VAT tax thing. Plus, we'd kill a few birds with one stone if we just went to Spang since we could also do our grocery shopping, pick up others things that our usual base doesn't carry, blah blah blah. 

I really loved the scroll design as well as the leaves with the lemons. I figured it was a bright enough design that wherever I hang 'em in the house (mainly our future house), it'll brighten up any room :)


I originally picked out a colorful tile called "Rio", but after seeing this particular one in person, Eric and I opted to get this instead. It may seem like drab colors, but it really pops with the glaze and the black outlines compared to the light, water colored appearance the other one had. Although, Eric and I had a giggle about it since the Rialto is missing all of the graffiti that's scrolled all over the exterior of it. I suppose that wouldn't make for a very pretty remembrance, right? 


On our way out, I spotted this really beautiful plate that some Turkish guys were selling. Of course when they saw me stop and stare at it, they instantly wanted to haggle and make sure I took it home, lol. 


After handling it and checking it all out, I noticed it's all hand painted! You can even see the individual paint drops for the design on the plate surface! So, of course I bought it and I'll be hanging it up in my office.


*Hopefully* the vendor I got this from will happen to be at Ramsteins event later in May since I'll be going up there for Eric's graduation ceremony. I know the tile guys will be there and I need to place another order with them, so, maybe I can get some goodies while I'm there to support my hubby :)

When you think about it, we traveled from Belgium to go shop in Germany. While in Germany, we bought stuff from Italy and Turkey. Talk about getting around! 



0 comments: