Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sí Sí



This is something I happened to make up (yes, really) because I was craving some sort of Mexican food, but not really wanting to make enchiladas or tacos. Remember a while back when I made "Uglies"? This is a spin off from those...but Mexicanized :)

The ingredients I'm listing are what I used to make 24 SiSi's with left over meat mixture (enough to make 12 additional SiSi's). The extra meat mixture can be frozen so you can use it at a later time if you're feeling squirrely to make more mini enchilada grenades :) I REALLY recommend making the meat mixture several hours before you're ready to bake. By making it and letting it soak, the chicken will have soaked up a lot of flavor!

Preheat the oven to 375*

3 packets of taco seasoning
1 carton of chicken stock
2 jars of salsa (however spicy you want)
1 medium white onion
6 cloves of garlic
2 roasted chickens
4 tomatoes
 1 head of lettuce
1 package of shredded mexican blend cheese
3 packages of Pillsbury biscuits

In a large bowl, combine the three packages of taco seasoning, two and a half cups of chicken stock, and the two bottles of salsa. Stir and set aside. 


Now, I normally roast chickens myself..but since I'm lucky enough to live near a town that was having it's Tuesday market, I managed to pick up two freshly roasted chickens from them. The reason why I prefer roasted verses BBQ is that the chicken keeps a lot of moisture in the meat and pretty much seasons itself as it's cooking. Nice & tender!


Pick all the meat off the bones, shred it into chunks and toss it into the bowl with the sauce mixture. If you want to add the skin in, it's your choice...I just tossed mine to the pups since they waited ever so patiently for me to make some sort of mistake to drop them some goodies.


Take your onion and coarsely chop it up, toss into chicken mixture.


From a bulb of garlic, take out anywhere from 5-6 cloves (medium sized) and finely chop them (I used my food chopper to do this)..once chopped, toss the garlic into the chicken mixture. 


Make sure to mix everything in the bowl thoroughly! If you're wanting this to soak, just toss it in the fridge till you're ready to bake, otherwise, just set this aside 


Next, you'll be working on the crust.


Spread some flour out on the counter so you can flatten out the biscuits.


Flatten the biscuits and shake off the excess flour..


..then fit the biscuits into the muffin tins. Now, don't bother trying to make the "crust" pretty..they'll bake however they want to which gives them that rustic kind of look.


Spoon the meat mixture into the shaped biscuits, then top with the shredded Mexican cheese.


Bake for 17-19 minutes!


While the Si Si's are cooling, you can work on the lettuce and tomatoes. 


Wash the lettuce thoroughly & dry. When you cut it up, you can do small slivers so you have a nice shredded lettuce you can use as a salad. 


Wash and dry your tomatoes. I'm kinda funny about mine since I don't like that core in the middle. So, I chop the top off, use "The Corer" down the center of the tomato to remove the heart, slice it in half then slide the seeds out. That way, I don't have the acidic part of the tomato to deal with when I use the good parts as a garnish. 


Once you're all set, assemble the SiSi like you would with a taco salad (lettuce, tomato, sour cream & shredded cheese)..and you're all set to go!


0 comments: