Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ask & You Shall Receive!

Go figure...I posted about my "wants" and two of 'em happened pretty fast! If only everything worked that way, right?  Is it sad that the owner and his wife know me by name? The second I walked in, I heard "Hello Erika!" with big smiles and waves. I shop there way too much. 


I popped into my beloved Slegers and right off the bat I see this fantastic old world globe. Sure, it'd be nice to have one that has actual information on it, but I think this one is MUCH cooler because it has paintings of sea monsters, astrological signs and old latin terms for various continents. The globe even rotates on an axis so you can adjust the degree coordinates! LOVE! AHH!! Everything is applied on old parchment paper, so I'm curious to do a little more research behind this particular goody. 




Then I made my way upstairs since that's where I remember the church benches being. Given, I had the choice of a single seater, or a double seater. After debating and debating, I ended up putting a deposit on the double seater "just in case" since it was the only one left, but there were two single seater benches. Before I went and bought the thing, I had to make sure I ran it pass "The Man" since I was basically buying it for him. Ya see, he has this knack of tossing his uniform all over my kitchen table in addition to his hat, change, other doo-dads that aren't clean..on my nice, clean kitchen table. See where I'm going with this? So, yeah..this bench is for "his" corner where he can hang his hat and other junk.


It's obviously been sun bleached, but I'm not really worried about it right now since, hey, it's a bench. Once we move back to the States and we're re-united with all of our stuff that's in storage (like my power tools), I'm going to strip it down and stain it darker. It's solid Oak, so it's going to last a lifetime and I'd prefer having the color match the rest of our furniture :)


For the time being, it's still over at the antique place since I need to find a spot to put it (yes, shame on me for buying it without a designated place), but it also gives me time to get rid of some more stuff. Luckily, the owners don't have a problem with it staying there. As the owners wife put it, "You'll be back. You always come back".


0 comments: