Tuesday, March 27, 2012

B.O.B the Trunk

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach"? Well...when it comes to me, it's "My eyes are bigger than my house".

If you saw my little love letter to my husband, you'll know that I was on a mission to pick up yet another trunk. Of course, the pictures from Slegers website didn't do it any justice......



.......I say that because it's considerably larger than I had anticipated. 

In fact, it's so large that I really had that doubting feeling of "should I really get this thing? It's massive!". Not to mention, I didn't think it'd fit in my Xterra. Lifting the lid is a bit of a struggle since the whole thing is made out of oak and iron. After looking it over, checking the wooden dowels, some minor repair work and what not, I walked around the warehouse to see if there was anything else that might catch my eye, but alas, I kept looking at the trunk wherever I was in the building. It was pretty hard to miss. 

I decided to bring it home since it IS an older piece that's between 142-162 years old (Mike, the owner of Slegers explained there was a twenty year age gap because lots of trunks within 1850-1870 were built the same by this particular builder) and it's an "import" from France. I'm only imaging the sort of things this trunk has lived through, especially with that sort of age on it. Honestly, I would've been an idiot not to buy it, especially because "the price was right!". So, the guys managed to get it into my Xterra (to my relief), and my friend and I rolled out to go have some cappachinos while enjoying some of the awesome weather we've been experiencing lately. 

I think I broke Mikes heart when I told him this was probably the last purchase I'll be making from him since I told Eric I'd stop buying stuff once I located a pretty awesome trunk. Not only did I get one awesome trunk, but I got two within two days of one another. So, I can't really back out on what I told my husband because, hey, my word is my bond. Mike on the other hand said "NO! Why?? Are you moving already?"....nope, not moving for another ten or so months, but promises are promises. Of course he tells me that I can always come in and visit while looking around without buying anything. Right. That's like asking a recently recovering drug addict to hang out in a unsupervised pharmacy and telling them to stay sober. Heh.

Not gonna lie...the trunk looked creepy in my truck. When you looked into the Xterra (from the front), the dome top from the trunk made it look like it was a coffin. Yeah, creepy. Then it dawns on me..."How the hell am I gonna get this out of here?". Normally, I grab my newly acquired treasure and hide 'em around the house like a little squirrel socking away nuts for winter, but this thing is so large that there is absolutely NO way I can get this out on my own. My second thought? Great, now I gotta deal with Eric being displeased with the size AND the weight. 



Luckily, I have a very supportive husband and he trusts my judgement when it comes to picking up various antiques. Given, this is larger than both of us were expecting, but it's still a gorgeous piece that'll fit in well with our collection. When I showed it to him, he gave a very heavy sigh and resigned to letting it sit in the truck till he got back from his appointment. Once he got back , we moved this beast of a trunk through the house and settled it down in my step-sons room since, well, that's the only space it can fit in, lol. 

Eric recovering:


For reference, this thing can fit all five of our dogs.... (sorry for the super blurry pic, but they were wiggling all over the place):


....and my fifteen year old can fit in it without a problem. 


Now I'm just looking forward to when we eventually move into our dream home and this can be used for the foot of our bed :) 



0 comments: