Tuesday, August 7, 2012

DIY Sushi Time!

I've heard from friends that you can pick up a cool sushi kit at one of the local stores if you're really wanting sushi without having to travel forty five minutes to an hour and a half to get your fix. Of course, I was talking to Eric about it and we agreed that it'd be fun to test this out at our house since we're total sushi addicts. 

I popped over to the store and picked up a Saitaku sushi kit. At first, I thought I got so insanely good at reading Dutch that I could CLEARLY read the instructions...and to my shock, they were all in English! ENGLISH!!!  


ENGLISH!!! AHHHHHHH!!! As Eric would say it... "ENGRISH"


Here's what comes in the kit:
Sushi rice
Sushi vinegar
Soy sauce
Sushi nori
Ginger
Wasabi paste
Rolling mat
Chop sticks
VERY easy instruction leaflet that has pictures that tells you how to roll up the rice / nori. 


Since Eric and I are huge fans of shrimp tempura, we opted to make some for the rolls:


Once the shrimp was all fried up, the carrots & avocado's were sliced, rice was finished, and we made our samurai sauce, we started working on rolling everything together. Not bad, right?



To my relief, they came out SO...SO good! We basically made spicy shrimp tempura rolls for our first attempt of ever making sushi at home! It was a lot of fun and it was extremely entertaining to watch Eric and myself cook something that's totally out of our comfort zone. I have no problems making Mexican, German, and even Greek food..but Japanese, even something as simple as sushi, it totally out in left field for me. 

SO, if we can do it, you can too! 




0 comments: