Saturday, September 4, 2010

Moo.

This is going to be a completely random blog..but it popped into my head cause I was in my backyard not too long ago and I could hear the ever so loud call of the heard of...Belgian Blues.

Being from California, I'm used to the good ol' fashioned dairy cow. They're your typical kinda cow..ya know, the one you see in the "Happy cows come from California" commercials. 


Hell, on a rare occasion, you'd see a Jersey Cow:

After living in Belgium for the past year and a half, I strongly believe that the Belgians motto is "Go big or go home".  Ladies and Gentlemen...I present you with...the Belgian Blue:


Wait..here's a video that'll actually help explain these things:

When I say these things are huge, I mean they're like the Schwarzenegger of cows. I mean, I feel bad for 'em because they are SO muscular, they have a hard time getting up when they've laid out in the sun for a while. If the cow is ready to give birth, they actually get the baby out via C-Section since the cow literally can't give birth naturally due to all the muscle. Rather sad, if you think about it.

The Belgian Blues are "naturally" that large, even though it's been bred that way over a hundred something years. They have double the lean meat, which is why a lot of the farmers like 'em since they make more profit. 

When we first arrived, I was freaked out by the sheer size of these things since they're everywhere. Even the babies are massive!  They look as if they were pumping iron in the womb or something. I guess it makes you think twice if you say "Holy Cow!"...now when that term comes to mind, I instantly think of one of these beef cakes:



2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG those things are ginormous!!!!

Team Hayes said...

Mmm. Beefcake.