Friday, September 3, 2010

Bad Ju Ju

Ever have one of those days where everything seems to be against you? Ya know, as if "fate" isn't wanting to allow you to carry out some plans that you had in mind for the day?

Well, that was a good chunk of today, lol.

Barb and I had decided last night that we were going to hit up Aachen, Germany today since she was wanting to go there for some Starbucks mugs she needed to pick up for some friends. While we were there, I was just going to pick up some bath bombs for Eric since he got hooked on the sea salt ones for his back in addition to some other goodies..

The following are the series of events that happened:

* First thing.. I rolled out of bed and when I was opening the bedroom door, I jammed my big toe on the edge of the door. Hurt like hell..who needs coffee after that? Not me!

* While I'm showering, I hit a slick spot and almost biffed it through the glass. Instead, I smacked my head on the wall. Awesome!

* Right before I leave the house, I usually let my fur babies out for one last "hoo-rah" in the grass before I lock 'em up. Well, it's like they know I wanted to go somewhere, so they took their time. Normally, they don't do that. They run out, drop trow then scamper back inside cause they love sleeping on their pillows..not today, of course. I had to track Macie down since she decided to run down the driveway towards the front of the house to play with the mail man (she never does that). Izzy and Cali actually behaved and went inside without any problems... Cole, on the other hand, laid down behind one of the tires of my truck and refused to move. It's like he gained 50lbs cause I couldnt get him to budge, and he insisted on not moving!! Thanks, fatass! Once I finally got him out from under the tire, he ran off in an entirely different direction of where he was supposed to go..he kept running away! Lil turd did everything in his power to make me run late.

* Once all the dogs were accounted for, I locked up the house and hopped in my truck. Turned the ignition on and ....nothing. My truck wouldn't start. Seriously? I sat there for a minute and lovingly told my Xterra, "Baby, I love you. Please, don't let me down"....turned the ignition again and she fired right up. YESSSSS!!

* Got stuck behind 4 different tractors. Thanks, Belgium.

* I end up taking a side road, which happens to be fairly narrow. While I'm motorin', there's an oncoming motorcyclist who is kinda leaning into my lane. So, I move over to the right a lil bit since I don't want to risk hitting him. Well, instead of hitting the guy, my side mirror smacks a side mirror of a van that was parked awkwardly on the side of the road. I..umm...think his mirror was ok. I just kept trucking. It's a Belgian thing...I know my mirror was fine...eeekkk....

Once I make it to Barbs house, she met me out in the drive way and she said she was having the same kinda morning I was having..as if we werent supposed to go anywhere. The whole "bad vibes" type of thing. SHUSH! lol. We hopped in her van and made our way up to Germany. Nothing bad happened on the way there (thank god), although we noticed that once we reached the Netherlands / Germany border and there was tons of backed up traffic on the other side of the highway. Didn't really think anything about it since we weren't stuck in traffic...therefor, didn't apply to us.

We get to Aachen, parked and made our way over to the shopping centrum. I assaulted the Lush store and then we headed on over to Starbucks since Barb was needing to pick some mugs up for some fellow collectors back in the states. Once she finished paying for the mugs, we were making our way to the sliding glass door where we saw two lil kids..I'd say around 3 years old... hanging out. They were literally pressing themselves up against the glass and what not. Well, when we got near the door, they automatically opened ..the little boy had his hand pressed against the glass (which slid to the side) and his hand got smushed / stuck between the moving glass and the standing piece. At first, it didn't register what happened until the kid saw Barbs face (which looked like OH MY GOSH!) then he began freaking out and screaming. The little girl got startled and began to scream as well, even though her hand wasnt smushed like her partner...Barb went over and tried moving the door back, which caused the kid to freak out even further! His mother finally realized "Oh hey, that's my kid screaming", got up and unsmushed his hand and snatched him away. The other mother of the little girl picked her up and calmed her down.. all the while, people are staring at us / them like "How dare you ruin our coffee". LOL. After all that excitement, we figured it'd be best that we headed on home since we were tempting fate.

Remember the traffic I mentioned a lil bit ago? The traffic we saw on the border? Well. It was still there. In fact, it was a border control check. Normally, we wouldn't be concerned, but Barb happened to not have her International Drivers License, nor did I have my Belgian ID. So, as we're sitting in traffic and getting more and more stressed about "Oh god. We're in trouble. Oh god, they're gonna search us. OH GOD". As we got to the check point where a Police officer was directing traffic, he pointed us in the direction where there were even more cops, strip points and such... we were freaking out, to be honest. We followed the other cars that had been pointed towards the same area ... just when we thought they were gonna have us pull into a parking spot to question us, they ended up dismissing us so we could hop back onto the highway to head home. THAAAANK GOD!! Huge sigh of relief!!!


After all was said and done, we made it back safely to Barbs house...no accidents, nothing missing (except some sanity), and we pretty much swore we'll listen to our inner "warnings" about a potentially bad day. LOL

2 comments:

BelgiumBarb said...

Next time, we'll hit up a local coffee shop and just hang out. Trust your "bad feelings" and stay away from the Juju!!!! I hope that little kid wasn't permanently traumatized. I think I was.

Team Hayes said...

Sounds like it turned out to be a good day after all. Your truck started, no Netherlands jail time...and a story to tell!