Monday, December 3, 2012

Chik-chik-cha-chik-chik-chika-chik-cha-chik-Ding-ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip


It's no secret that I like old stuff. Personally, I think old stuff rocks. The majority of my house has antiques & vintage things as decor, and once we move back to the states, I'll be acquiring the rest of my cool things to give our new home some funky character. 

For those of you who don't know what this contraption is.. this is a typewriter. 
T-Y-PE-W-R-I-T-E-R. Ohhhh ahhhhhhhhhh!
 Now a days, everyone has a laptop, iPad, tablet, or other fancy do-hickey to converse with other people. This, my friends, is one of the many stepping stones it took to give you your current contraption. 

I kept debating back and forth about whether I really wanted to get this or not. I mean, it's heavy. VERY heavy. I struggled to carry it across the warehouse to my truck, lol



HISTORY OF REMINGTON TYPEWRITER:
E. Remington and Sons (1816-1896) was a manufacturer of firearms and typewriters. Founded in 1816 by Eliphalet Remington in Ilion, New York, and on March 1, 1873 it started manufacturing the first commercial typewriter.
In 1886, E. Remington and Sons sold its typewriter business to the Standard Typewriter Manufacturing Company, Inc. Included were the rights to use the Remington name. E. Remington and Sons changed its name to "Remington Arms".
"Standard Typewriter" changed its name in 1902 to "Remington Typewriter Company". This company merged in 1927 with "Rand Kardex Company" to form "Remington Rand", which continued to manufacture office equipment and later became a major computer company, as well as manufacturing electric razors.

After their invention in the 1860s, typewriters quickly became indispensable tools for practically all writing other than personal correspondence. They were widely used by professional writers, in offices, and for business correspondence in private homes. By the end of the 1980s, word processors & personal computers had largely replaced typewriters in most of these uses.

One of the main selling points for me was the fact that the keys are in French! How cool is that?  



....yeeet it says it was made in Ilion, New York, USA. The keys even have the accent marks you'd need while typing in your beloved "language of love". Spiffy, right?


I love how each side has a trap door so you can replace the ribbon wheels. They worked perfectly when I was hammering away on the keys to test it out! 


I'm positive that Eric's gonna roll his eyes when he sees this when he gets home. Then again, he really shouldn't be surprised since I talked to him about it last week for a while to kinda "test the waters" for his opinion. When I came home on Friday with the hutch and no typewriter, he even said "I'm surprised you didn't get it"....sucka. I had to go back to Slegers today anyways since I was returning the moving blankets they let me borrow to get the hutch to my house. I was in and outta that place in record time..even the owner was surprised how fast I was! I think I spent a total of five minutes in the warehouse, lol

To those of you who have been long time readers...remember the typewriter teapot I got while in England a few years ago? 



Well, now it has someone it can relate to :) I think they'll have a fabulous friendship together.


Let's just hope that this isn't the piece that causes us to be over our weight limit when the time comes to move! Eeeeeesh!



0 comments: