Sunday, August 21, 2011

Big Money

I have insomnia. I mean, BAD. As of late, I've been getting up at 8a and going to bed around 2a or even 3a. It REALLY sucks, despite trying melatonin, Tylonal PM, Motrin PM and whatever else I can think of. Yes, I've tried tea (decaffinated, of course), I stop eating by 7pm and pretty much do whatever I can to try to get my brain to slow down enough so I can actually nod off.

So, I was trying to sleep in yesterday when it sounded like the world was coming to an end outside of our bedroom window. Given, the metal shades are down so I couldn't see what was going on (the shades are broken so I can't roll them up right now!!)...so, I walked over to my office and this is what I saw:



Oh, Hi Mr. Earthmover..

Our landlord has been taking babysteps over the last two months to really get into the swing of building a duplex next to our house. I'm kinda boggled as to why he didn't start this digging project during the week rather than starting it up nice and EARLY on a Saturday morning. Then it dawned on me... all of the contruction stuff belonged to our landlord. ALL of them. The guys running them were either his sons, or brothers! They were probably busy working their jobs during the week and Saturday was the day they could come over and work on the property.



I knew our landlord had money, but seriously..these machines are INSANELY expensive over here! Not only does he get double the regular rent from us (because we're Americans), but he also owns, in partnership, the TLF buildings the new incoming families use..so he gets a kickback from that, he owns another home in a different providence he gets rent from, the construction business as well as handyman services..and now he's building this duplex so he can rent to additional Americans. This dude is SMART! Get that money!




The furbabies DID NOT appreciate the construction noise! Whenever we let them out in the yard (don't worry, it's fenced in so they couldn't go in the massive hole), they ran along the side fence where they could see the machines..then they gave them a whole lot of hell and then ran back inside. Fearless beasts, I tells ya.  


They ended up finishing around 9:30 last night...so this is the aftermath:



I'm sad that my pretty green yard is gone, especially since I liked having a nice view from my office. Now it'll be construction, guys with butt cracks showing and loud things fairly often till it's completed. From what our landlord was telling us, it'll be finished after we move in 2013..then again, whose to say we won't end up staying here longer. If we DO end up getting American neighbors..hopefully they won't be annoying. Is that mean? Nah..I bet you don't want annoying neighbors, either.

Photobucket

0 comments: