Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Glutton Day!

'Tis that time of year again!
It's Thanksgiving! 
Or as well like to call it, "Gluttony Day". 

This years Thanksgiving is definitely low key since it's just Eric, John and myself. Last year, I actually decorated and set the dinner table since we had some close friends over in which I made a lot of grub. I think the only thing in "bulk" that was made this time around was bacon, lol


Every year, I make a different sort of "rub" for the bird since it's nice to always try something new. This time around, I made a thyme concoction in garlic infused olive oil, pureed it and did injections throughout the bird in addition to slathering it all over the skin. Of course, I let it sit over night so it'd soak in a little more. The bird itself weighs 25lbs. Yes..25lbs of turkey for three people. Just take a guess as to who picked it out... At least it'll give me a lot to work with when I make my awesome turkey chili


Bacon. 

Everything is better with bacon. Therefor, Thomas the turkey got wrapped up with all sorts of delicious bacon strips. I actually did a "basket weave" with all the piggy pieces ad secured them with toothpicks so they wouldn't fall off during the 6+ hours of baking. 



Eric did his part and packed the turkey silly with garlic infused stuffing:


Here's how it turned out:




We ended up removing the bacon and cooked the turkey for an additional hour and a half (for a total of 7 and a half hours) since the grease from the bacon basically basted the turkey AND the stuffing. By leaving the grease, it allowed the turkey to get nicely browned and kept it extremely moist. 


It came out SO nice! The meat was basically falling off the bird. When Eric grabbed one of the drum sticks, it fell right off without any resistance. Needless to say, I was pretty proud of myself, lol.


In addition to the turkey, I made bacon & scallion mashed potatoes and a tray of some biscuits. Oh, and some cans of jellied cranberries. LOL. I wasn't motivated to make an entire spread of food like I normally do because we just don't have the room in the fridge for tons & tons of leftovers. Plus, between my back and knee, I wasn't feeling up to cookin' my ass off all day. All Eric & John care about is the turkey, stuffing and cranberry jelly, so why over exert myself?

For dessert?
Hot chocolate! Yes, I'm sure that just warped your minds because the norm is to have pumpkin or pecan pie. Again, No room for it and it's not a high priority for us, lol. They're happy campers with toffee hot chocolate smothered in whipped cream.

So, I hope everyone has a fabulous Gluttony Day with their loved ones and cheers to the next!

0 comments: