Tuesday, March 3, 2009

8 days

We've officially been in Belgium for a lil over a week and it's been really eye opening. I love how everything works here, I love the stores, the people, everything. I'm SO glad to know that Eric's assignment has him here for the next 3 years! I could definetely see us living here again at some point in the future (if the USAF allowed us to stay in Europe).

The only drawback is that everything is freaking expensive (except food) because there's a 21% sales tax. Yeah.. I bitched abot paying 7.75% tax in California.. shit, lol. When I was out at the Market on Monday with my upstairs neighbor (Brooke), I saw some doggy beds for sale. Normally, I wouldn't worry about getting them one, but the floor's here are all tile / marble so the dogs REALLY don't wanna sleep on the freezing cold floor. So, I took a look at the beds which would fit Izzy (she's 12lbs), and they were wanting 90 Euro for it! Holy shit! That's almost $120 dollars for it!! No freaking way! Luckily, Eric and I happened to go to Schinnen's Army Base that's located in the Netherlands and they had some beds there. There's no way I'm paying $120 (essentially) for a single dog bed when I can get 3 for the same price! Now the living room floor is covered in large, fluffy doggy beds and smothered with some pretty happy campers!

Lesse, what else..... I've been trying to get together some goody care packages for friends and family since I live right down the street from a fantastic chocolate store (Leonidas). AMAZING chocolate, but then again, what else would you expect from Belgium? :)

Other things I've noticed since we've been here:

-Belgians (or just Europeans in general) LOVE Techno Music. WTF?? That's all I've heard since we've been here!

- They're about 10 years behind on music, or so it seems.

- They LOVE to stare at you. Doesn't matter if you blend in with the same color clothes.. you're new, therefore, they stare.

- If you wear any colors other than Black, Brown or Gray, you're odd.

- Europeans are psycho drivers.

0 comments: