Saturday, January 15, 2011

French Toasty Nom Nom

 Alrighty, when we were living in California, I was rather spoiled when it came to sourdough bread. I absolutely LOVE San Luis Sourdough. Love it. It's the best bread to use for sandwiches, and especially French Toast. When we moved away, I was VERY....VERY sad that our commissary here doesn't have it. I mean, come on, they have Wonder Bread and Home Pride..both are "meh" worthy types of bread. Believe me, I've been tempted to have some shipped over here, but I don't think it'd be good by the time it arrived :(

If you haven't had it, trust me, you're missing out on a great thing. 

So, onto the recipe!

Ingredients

  • 5 cups bread cubes
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup white sugar, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly butter an 8x8 inch baking pan.  

Line bottom of pan with bread cubes. 

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and vanilla. 

Pour egg mixture over bread. Dot with margarine; let stand for 10 minutes.Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. 

Bake in preheated oven about 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden.



Top with what ever syrup you like :) I stick to boysenberry with a slight sprinkling of powdered sugar!



0 comments: