Saturday, June 4, 2011

Week 13!

Please excuse my thugnificent band aid on my footsie. Since it's getting warmer over here, it seems like every creepy crawling or flying bomber has decided to come out of the wood works and bite me. I literally have 15 bites all over me and they tend to focus on my joints..wtf! 

Anyway, I'm officially down 20lbs!!! EEEEEEEE!!!!! I SQUEALED when I looked at the scale and it showed this:
Things are startin' to pay off! Lots of walking and watching what I eat is really...really helping! As a "reward" to myself, Eric and I are heading over to a local town called Bree to check out a store called EuroSport. From the various things people have told me about the place, it's like a sport store that's got anything / everything in there you could possibly imagine. I'm looking into getting myself a kettlebell. 

If you don't know what a kettlebell is, here's a picture for reference:


Thanks to Wikipedia, here's an explination of it far better than I could've given you:


The kettlebell is a cast iron weight (resembling a cannonball with a handle) used to perform ballistic exercises that combine cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training. Sizes may range from 4 pounds (1.8 kg) to 175 pounds (79 kg).


Unlike traditional dumbbells, the kettlebell's center of mass is extended beyond the hand, similar to a clubbell. This necessitates ballistic and swinging movements.By their nature, typical kettlebell exercises build strength and endurance, particularly in the lower back, legs, and shoulders, and increase grip strength. The basic movements, such as the swing, snatch, and the clean and jerk, engage the entire body at once,and in a way that mimics real world activities such as shoveling or farm work


Variants of the kettlebell include bags filled with sand or steel shot, water, or which take a variable number of plates.They also have a center of mass extended beyond the hand and allow for swing movements and release moves with added safety and added grip, wrist, arm and core strengthening due to the shifting fill material.

I've had various friends recommend it to me, swear by it and thing it'd be good for me to use since I'm wanting to tone up and get rid of the flub I have on my arms. Eric said it'd be great to help strengthen my back and it'll help my balance and core. So, why not give it a shot?

PS: I just noticed I'm finally getting a flippy floppy tan! Ha! I'll be ready for California in no time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

::HAPPY DANCE:: Awesome job Erika!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddi said...

Congrats on the 20 pounds! You are kicking ass girl!