Monday, September 12, 2011

Pampered Piper

I'm such an animal person, it's kinda sickening sometimes. When I think about my dogs, I think of 'em as if they're my kids.So, it's really not all that surprising that Piper is getting spoiled rotten. Then again, I have that mind set that pound puppies should get extra spoiled considering what they went through. 


Piper is only five-ish months old, and she was a stray that was picked up over in Soledad. Honestly, she's lucky that she was found because people over there would use a lil dog like her as bait for training their dogs to fight. Really horrible stuff! When I was looking over her paperwork, she was actually picked up & brought into the SPCA on Eric's birthday (Aug 22nd), so that made me smile cause that's kinda like a "sign" in my eyes. They ended up spaying her, giving her all of her shots and put her up on the website in hopes of finding someone to adopt her. Ding ding ding! She's got a home and is getting spoiled rotten! Even my Dad is spoiling her, which is hilarious since she's such a tiny little dog. 

Today, I took her over to Carmel to pick up a Puppia harness for her since most of the local pet stores here don't carry them. For the life of me, I have NO idea why they don't! It's like they're only carried in dog boutiques or something. So, we popped into to Diggity Dog since I knew for a fact that they carried 'em. My Mom and I used to go in there all the time with Waldie and Ozzy since you can find some pretty unique things in there. Honestly, it's by far one of my favorite places to shop in terms of pet items because the staff's awesome, they have a massive variety of foo-foo things if you wanna dress your pet up, and lots and LOTS of collars and leashes to choose from in addition to decorations or whatever else you can think of. 






After looking around for a bit, I decided to get her the Puppia soft vest rather than the halter because she's so small. It's either the "small" in the halter was just right...and she's still gonna grow, or the medium was way too big on her. With the vest, it's still adjustable and has the clipping mechanism to make sure it doesn't break away while walking her. She got LOTS of compliments while we were shopping! A lot of people kept asking me if she's part wire haired dachshund that's mixed with something else..who knows, honestly. She's just ridiculously cute and VERY well behaved!



Here's some other goodies I picked up for her. Dad suggested that I get a "loose" leash for her since I plan on taking her with me most of the time while I'm out and about, so it'll be easier to carry with me rather than a retractable leash. I got her a Kong chew toy as well as a little Kong flyer (puppy size) since she's wanting to chew on anything / everything. The big Kong flier (the bunny) is something she likes sleeping with, go figure!


 This is the Red Dingo dog tag I'm ordering for her:


 Ever since we brought her home, she's been smoothing things over with Ozzy since they didn't exactly get off on the right foot during the "introduction" session at the SPCA. They're both to the point now where they can sleep next to one another, play with their toys, etc...although, Ozzy doesn't like sharing Dad with Piper yet, but that'll take time. At least there's been some progress in the last few days :)


All in all, she's getting very settled in and has a pretty good layout of the house already. She's FABULOUS in the car! I thought Izzy was a great little co-pilot, but Piper has her beat (don't tell Izzy!). Piper curls up in the passenger sleep (or in the back seat) and just passes out till we've reached our destination. Once I park, then she hops into my lap for me to take her out and do whatever it is I need to do. For a tiny little dog, she rarely barks unless something really loud startles her...other than that, you never know where she's at because she's so quiet..that's why I have two cat bells on her collar so it'll help me keep track of where she is! When it's time for bed, she curls up on the pillow right next to me and stays there till I get up. Very good lil puppy! 

All this spoiling is really tuckering her out..




Photobucket

0 comments: