Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 1 - Your Biggest Accomplishment

Man, that's a hard one. 

I could be sarcastic and say that moving out of my home town was a huge accomplishment since it seems like that place is a black hole. Sure, Salinas is famous for John Steinbeck, and it's also known as "The Salad Bowl Capital of the World"...but there's an extremely high crime rate there. Go figure, right?


As for my biggest achievement..it sounds funny, but I would have to consider getting married my biggest achievement. 

I say that because when I was growing up, I was teased..relentlessly.. about being fat, ugly...pretty much anything you can say to someone to dog their confidence. I know some of you are probably sitting there and thinking "Everyone gets teased when they're younger". You may be right, but, you weren't in my exact shoes. Growing up overweight, and still currently a curvey chubster, was / is crappy, despite endless attempts to lose weight. Having people tell me to "Go on Jenny Craig", or "Shouldn't you be at your Weight Watchers meeting"...ya know, in 5th-12th grade, and then some...sucked. My favorite quote I heard in college was, "You'd be so hot if you weren't a fat ass". Thanks.

I only dated a few people prior to meeting Eric, including a rather long relationship which shattered my self esteem for quite some time. Actually, when you're cheated on by two different boyfriends, it tends to make you think rather low of yourself.  Everything changed when I met my husband. Everything. 

 
He's the best thing to ever happen to me. Not once has he ever said anything negative to me. Never. He always been supportive, loving, considerate..everything you can ever ask for in a husband. 

The reason why I say that getting married (and very happy ) is my biggest achievement... and it may sound rather mean, or petty, but, the people who used to bully, tease, torment me...they're all alone. They don't have a significant other. Or, they're not happily married. In all honesty, that makes me smile a little bit. Sounds mean, but, I'm "OK" with that. 

I remember someone telling me during water polo practice in high school telling me , "The only reason why fat people are nice is because they're compensating for not being pretty". Funny, I'm nice because I don't think it's right to subject people to emotional pain. 
.
I'm done with my soapbox!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I. Love. You. <3
So glad you and Eric found each other. :)