Monday, November 15, 2010

Living Room Tetris

For my birthday, I picked up the Kinect system for my xbox 360. So far, I'm totally loving it, despite throwing my back out by playing "Kinect Adventures" ...stop laughing. Now, with the Kinect, you need about 6 feet of space between you and the TV, and that's the minimal amount of distance needed (they recommend up to 8 feet). With the way our Belgian landlord built the house, my living room is shaped narrow and long. Please refer to my pictures:

Pardon the funky-ness... I had to take several pics and paste 'em all together, lol.


Seems fairly large, right? Not quite...between the way the doors into the room open, heaters, awkwardly placed sockets and such, it kinda makes it hard to set up the furniture:


My only solution for the time being is the slide the coffee table to the side when I wanna use the Kinect. BUT, it's VERY heavy! Think along the lines of about 300lbs (it's solid walnut wood). Luckily, Eric put it on a rug for me so it's a little easier to slide across the floor..but for someone with a not so awesome back, it's still hard to move. Last night, we were visually playing tetris with stuff to see how things would fit..if we could move the entertainment center..how about the couch..what about this..this..or this...ugh. 

Yes, all of this effort for the sake of a video game. Safety first! 

I sure hope the next place we move to has a huge living room! HOPEFULLY, the next move will be to Germany!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get yourself some "Super Sliders"-- they look like plastic lids you slip under the feet of your coffee table (dressers, couches, etc.) that allow you to literally slide your furniture around on carpet with ease. CHEAP-- I got a set of 4 for under $10 (at Home Depot), that also included little booties/covers for the sliders to be used on hardwood floors. I use them when I stage homes-- usually by myself-- and have actually moved large armoires, beds, dressers, etc. with little effort. I rate this product ***** (5 stars)!