Wednesday, December 21, 2011

♪ Music Junky ♪

Alright, this blog post is pretty tardy. Why? Because...I meant to write this not too long after I got back from California. I have awful "shiny syndrome", what can I say?

As a birthday present to myself, I went on the hunt for some bitchin' headphones. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Skull Candies. I've been a loyal Skull Candy believer for a few years now, especially when I need something to listen to while I'm in the gym. 


But, they don't do all that well with noise cancelling when it comes to loud outside static, ohhhh...like crying babies. Heh. My flight from California to Amsterdam was ten and a half hours, so I really didn't wanna risk listening to a grumpy baby (again) during the majority of the flight because, well, that's just my luck. My Skull Candies did pretty well on the flights over from Brussels to Monterey, but they started to hurt after a while since they're the ear bud style..so you gotta stick 'em in your ears. Try doing that for over seventeen and a half hours (thank you, layovers)...it starts to hurt. And yes, it was necessary to drone out noise with music or movies for that amount of time!

I used to have a pretty cool pair of Skull Candy Lowriders and they worked really well... in the beginning. They had great sound,  nice bass, light and fairly compact when I needed to fold 'em up and stuff 'em away in my purse / backpack...but, they didn't hold up very long. They started to warp because of the way they folded together, which in turn started to pinch up the cord and effected the sound quality. Plus, they sit ON your ears, not around them..so after a while, it started to hurt. After about a year of having them, they were retired out and I went back to my little ear buds. 


Back to my birthday present... I had been keeping my eyes on some headphones called "beats by dr. dre", but wasn't sure if I was willing to commit to the three hundred dollar price tag that came along with 'em.  Yeah, three hundred smackers..and that's not the super expensive model, either. My main reason for not getting them, aside from the price tag, was that there wasn't anywhere around *here* in Belgium that I knew of to where I could pop in and listen to the quality. Are you gonna drop cash on something you haven't tested out? No. If you do, then you're silly. So, I held out till I was stateside and I had access to my beloved Best Buy to check out the different models to see which one was best suited for me. After bopping back and forth between all the different styles..


.... I ended up getting the "Studio" headphones that go over the ear. They're VERY comfortable, noise cancel and the sound is UH-mazing! 


For head phones that fold up, they're actually really sturdy feeling!


The red cord is detachable from the head phones so you can store it without bending / straining the wires like you would if they were fixed to the actual unit. 


You also get a jack to plug into whatever electrical musical instrument you happen to play, AND, you get a adapter plug to use for airline flights. I got to test that out on the flight and it was FABULOUS! Amazing "surround" sound :D


And, you get a hard shell case to store your stuff in rather than letting it get all messed up or losing the cords...you know how it is. Things get lost regardless of how hard we try to take care of it. 


I've had these for a little over a month now, and I can genuinely say that these have gotten used DAILY. Between using them for some down time in my office, or when I wanna watch a movie on my laptop without disturbing everyone else...these have phenomenal sound, minimal outside sound disturbance and I can wear then for a LONG time without them becoming uncomfortable. AND...when I wore them on the flight, there was a bratty two year old throwing hissy fits every other half hour and I never really knew it was going on till I took my head phones off. YES, they're amazing! 

My only complaint....of course they came out with pink ones AFTER I bought mine and got back to Belgium...pshh!




0 comments: