Monday, January 30, 2012

Corn Mac

Whenever I bring my Corn Mac to a party, I get tons of compliments, people asking for the recipe, or people offering to pay me to make it for them since it doesn't come out the same way if they make it themselves. Not bad, right? I actually wrote out the recipe in a "Note" on my Facebook account, but I still get asked about it being posted on here since some people like visual instruction verses just words, so, here we go:

This a REGULAR serving size recipe, which can feel 4-6 people. The amount that's pictured below is for a large party I'm cooking for in addition to personal orders people make when they find out I'm cooking this recipe. So, don't freak out when you see the amount of butter and Velveeta is used :)



Preheat 350
Grease a 9x13 pan/dish


2 Cups - Macaroni "elbow" pasta
1 Cup - Butter (unsalted, or 1 stick salted and 1 unsalted..I prefer using "Challenge Butter")
1 - 16 oz. Block Velveeta - cubed (sometimes I add more since we like things super cheesy!)
1 - can Creamed Corn
2 - cans of "Fiesta" Corn - Drained
2-3 T. - Onion Powder
2-3 Tablespoons of Tastefully Simples "Onion Onion" (yes, really. Add more as you're making your sauce if you like)
* You can also use fresh onion; do about 1/4 cup give or take. Make sure it is finely chopped if you do!
Ground black pepper (optional)




Boil macaroni till tender. While you're waiting for that to finish, you can mix together the creamed corn & Fiesta corn together. 


I tend to prep other things while I'm waiting on pasta to finish cooking, so I measured out my onion powder as well as Onion Onion. Now that's ready to go when the time comes:


Once the macaroni is ready, drain and put in a large mixing bowl.


2. Add the creamed corn and the drained cans of corn to macaroni. Stir to evenly combine. Set aside.


In a sauce pan, melt the butter, then add onion powder & "Onion Onion"; saute on a low to medium heat for 10 minutes. DO NOT get it so hot that'll allow the butter to burn! 


Then, add the Velveeta cubes and stir until completely smooth and combined (lots & lots of stirring). Again, don't allow it to burn or it completely ruins the sauce.



Pour the cheese mixture into mixing bowl and stir until macaroni, corn and cheese sauce is evenly combined.


Place the combined mixture into your 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with ground pepper pepper and Onion Onion (however much you're wanting to use).


Bake for 20 minutes with aluminum foil, then bake uncovered for 10 minutes. BAM! You're done!

If you make this earlier in the day and it's meant for dinner, you can put it in the oven at 200* and just have it sit in there till you're ready. By leaving it for several hours  (mine cooked for 4 hours), the onion flavor comes out better and the cheese seems to "soak" into the macaroni.



0 comments: