Friday, January 20, 2012

Antique-y Decor

I really enjoy antiques. Love love love 'em. I especially love using them as decoration around my house :)

I went over to my favorite antique store yesterday to pick up another trog since I couldn't get that particular one outta my head since I saw it on Thursday. It's HUGE, and stained dark (which I love!). Eric was joking with me that it should be a dog bed since it's large..so, I humored him and put it on the ground. Low and behold:




Wasn't expecting that, hunh?

When we first got here back in 2009, I started collecting these things called "trogs", which are basically little troughs that farmers would use around here to feed their livestock. Over the course of various trips, I've picked up more here & there and actually sent one to a friend back in California because she fell inlove with the ones she saw on my blog. I can't remember who mentioned it to me, but I was told that Pottery Barn actually sells them...but, for a much steeper price! Of course I thought it was silly that these things were insanely expensive back in the states, so I looked it up..sure enough..lots of money for 'em. 




Keep in mind, I pay (roughly) 20€ (about $26) for the medium size trogs and up to 40€ (about $52) for a HUGE trog. When I say "huge", I mean I use it to store all of my dogs toys along with their harnesses and leashes. So, of course when I saw how much Pottery Barn was wanting for their "dough bowls", I almost choked. Honestly, I couldn't imagine paying $200+ for a wooden bowl, so I hopped onto eBay out of curiosity...most of the bowls listed on there ranged from $145-$550!! Seriously?? WOW.


Here's the ones I've picked up since we've been here. You can kinda gauge their size cause of my Dachshunds that were checking them out :) My husband had given me a fair bit of grief over collecting these things, but they're growing on them since I use 'em for decoration, a holder for the dogs toys, and various other little things. 



I will say though, that PB's site gave me some great idea's as to how else I can decorate them! Now I'm on the hunt for some staggered candles and some decorative pebbles to put in the super long trog I just picked up (it's in the above picture, lower left). Actually, I think I'll just use coffee beans instead of the pebbles so my foyer will smell like a coffee house AND they'll hold up the candles nicely:


So yeah, there ya go! Trogs (or "Dough Bowls) are pretty awesome things to have around your house in terms of adding some shabby decor with a new twist :) 


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Love love love the HUGE one!!! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that uses them for dog toys. I really wish that I could put mine on my table but now everytime I try Chase looks at me like he's say "hey lady....put the toy trog back or else!"