Saturday, April 23, 2011

*Click*Click*Click*

Living overseas is awesome...for the most part. Yes, I get to travel around to cool places, see lots of historical places, or lounge in a country that people dream of visiting. BUT, shopping here is a pain in the ass, especially if you're wanting to find something that you could easily buy in the US. 

Since I live in a tiny community, and if we're wanting something along the lines of books, gadgets and whatever else you can think of, we normally end up going to our "local" sister base that's over in The Netherlands. Yes, I know I could buy off of the economy, but I rather not pay in Euros when I can get something in Dollars! Well, that particular base has a VERY limited selection when it comes to things you want (and their clothing selection is less than desirable) and if you even attempt to do a special order, you could be waiting MONTHS for it to arrive. 

This is where these guys come in:


I think the majority of overseas families end up ordering from Amazon (unless you're stationed at a massive base with a fabulous BX) because you can always get what you're wanting, the majority of the time it's cheaper than what it'd cost in the store, and you're able to read peoples feedback on that product rather than just taking a sales persons word. Amazon must be LOVIN' us because we tend to buy all sorts of various things through them: game consoles, game console controllers, video games, movies, tv shows, dog stuff, electronics, baby wipes (ha), candy...you name it, we've probably bought it. Eric ends up doing all the ordering because they seem to love him, so things will get here within two weeks. Whenever I order something, the mail fairy decides to take it on a vacation to the Bermuda Triangle and I'll either never see it, or it shows up in two months. 

Since Eric got me the Kindle 3G for Christmas, it has become WAY too easy to buy my books.

This whole "one-click" option lets me buy a ton of books, which my bank account doesn't totally appreciate. I currently have a ten books I NEED to read, but, I managed to get a some for free (yay classics!I admit...I do something rather sneaky. Whenever we go up to the local base to do our grocery shopping, we'll stop in at the bookstore there to scope out any new titles we might be interested in. Then, I'll add them to my "wishlist" on my Blackberry so when I get home, I can download them or add them to my Kindle Wishlist. Yes, shame on me. I know I should buy from the store, but that completely defeats the purpose of me having a Kindle in the first place. I'm a "touchy/ feely" type of shopper, so when I see a book I might like, I open it up and read the insert to see if it's something that might interest me. The whole reason why we got Kindles (yes, all three of us have one) is because we won't have a ton of weight due to books when the time comes for us to move again. When we moved from California to Belgium, about 400 pounds worth of books were left in storage. Yeah. We're a reading type of family.

The titles I currently have are:

To Defy A King (currently reading; loving it so far)
The Hangman's Daughter
Water For Elephants
Sins of the House of Borgia
Pale Rose of England
Sookie Stackhouse Series ( 8 books )
Relic (book 1 of Pendergast series)
Medicus: A Novel of the Roman Empire
Dracula
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

My Wishlist:

Reliquary (book 2 of Pendergast series)
The Cabinet of Curiousities ( book 3 Pendergast series)
Still Life with Crows ( book 4 Pendergast series)
Brimstone ( book 5 Pendergast series)
Dance of Death ( book 6 Pendergast series)
The Book of the Dead (book 7 Pendergast series)
The Wheel of Darkness (book 8 Pendergast series)
Cemetery Dance ( book 9 Pendergast series)
Ghost Girl
Ghost Girl: Lovesick
Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution
Red Riding Hood
Beautiful Darkness
Beautiful Creatures
Wicked
Blue Bloods Series ( 7 books)

Yeah, LOTS of reading in my future! Speaking of which, I wanna get back to reading "To Defy A King" :) I giggled when I opened up the cover for my Kindle because there was a picture of John Steinbeck as the screen saver.


The reason why I giggled is because I was just thinking about when I go home later this year, and his picture pops up. We're actually from the same town, which is Salinas, California...we even went to the same high school (yes, it's an old school that was established in 1882). I dunno, just a coincidence that he popped up when I was thinking about home :)

Sorry for the totally random post! lol

0 comments: