Sunday, April 3, 2011

Coconut Muffins

Due to my eating plan, I can't have flour...processed stuff, salts, sugars..things that normally taste out of this world...blah blah blah. I know, there's plenty of healthy things to eat that taste amazing...it's just taking some time to figure out which works best for me. 

After trolling around online for a bit, I managed to find a recipe for Coconut Muffins that didn't require any sort of flour, butters or sugars. I'm sure a few people decided to stop reading this once they saw that those particular ingredients aren't in this recipe...too bad for you.

To those who continued to read, here ya go!

  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 16 egg whites (from whole eggs, not the carton)
  • 1 cup Splenda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons coconut extract
  • 1½ cup ground old fashioned oatmeal (measure after oats are ground)
  • ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal, not ground
If you have a food processor, use that to grind up the oatmeal to a "flour like" consistency. Since I don't have one,  I use my Manual Food Processor to grind everything :)

Mix all ingredients except for 1 tablespoon of the unground oats and 1 tablespoon of the Splenda. Beat with mixer until batter is frothy; it'll thicken up. Yes, it'll look like a hot mess, but trust me...it'll work out. Pour batter evenly into muffin tin lined with cupcake papers to the very top. Sprinkle leftover oats and Splenda on the top of each muffin before baking. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Test muffins with a toothpick-they are done when the toothpick comes out clean.

This should make roughly 16 muffins! 

Here's how mine turned out! They look like normal muffins but are heavier since they're made mainly out of eggs and oatmeal. 


* I didn't use muffin liner tins since my Pampered Chef muffin pan is amazing and NOTHING sticks to it *

One of them makes me really full, so the carb & protein amount is just perfect for me.

Oh...and Eric loves 'em. THAT alone tells me that they're good cause he's a food snob when it comes to sweets for him to snack on!

3 comments:

Valency said...

But do YOU think they are yummy? They look pretty good... I've seen some recipes that use ground almonds instead of flour that look pretty delish, but I haven't tried them yet...

Erika said...

Yup! I think they're fahhhbulous :) I had one for breakfast this morning (popped it in the microwave for about 15 seconds) and it was perfect! I think I'll be making some of these for a road trip we have coming up next week!

Unknown said...

Totally doing this!!!!