Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oh goodness...

Lesseeeeeee...the last 24 hours has been a bit interesting for me...

Eric calls me at work yesterday with good news. I mean, it's good news and kinda not good news. We were originally scheduled to PCS (Permanent Change of Station) to Belgium in late May 2009. Weeelllllll... he called to inform me that he received an email from a personalist from USAFE stating that they're going to be short manned in January & if he'd mind being bumped up to move sooner. It's funny that this popped up considering he and I just happened to talk about trying to move sooner since he's officially been at Vandenberg for 5 years now. We just toyed with the idea of leaving sooner considering I still have stuff to deal with regarding my moms estate, I had a surgery scheduled for January 2nd and we STILL need to go through stuff that we're wanting to keep / get rid of. Now the surgery is canceled since I won't recover in time to leave, Dad has to pick up the pace on the estate probate and Eric will be bulldozing through a lot of stuff this weekend while I'm out of town. So...now the rat race begins since we had 4 months of prepping for the move taken away from us. LOTS of stuff to do... it's a little overwhelming.

Work wise... I was conducting interviews starting at 8am all the way up to 4:30pm today every 30 minutes. It's a little funny that my work is NOW scrambling for my replacement even though they've known for months that I'm leaving. By the time someone is hired, I'll have 2 months (maybe) to have them trained up to the level that I'm currently at. My job is really fast paced, A LOT of computer work is involved as well as juggling multiple things at once. Let's not forget that there's A LOT of stress. I was honestly amazed with some of the applicants I dealt with. I mean, isn't' it common sense / knowledge to "dress to impress"? Don't look as is you literally just rolled out of bed.. or give me a resume that appears as if a ten year old filled it out for you. For example, a gentleman I interviewed today wore Hawaiian board shorts, a tank top and flip flops...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Another gentleman was upset that our dress code doesn't allow shorts. Uh..alright. ANOTHER one had massive mis-spellings throughout the entire resume yet was happy with the 2.5 GPA he maintained in high school...WHAAAAT? Out of all the applicants I interviewed today, only 1 wore a dress shirt, slacks, neck tie and dress shoes AND was prepared with an additional resume. That's the ONLY one I'm interested in hiring even though he doesn't have much of a back round affiliated with the job requirements... he still seemed more competent than the others! I swear.. it just boggles me how applicants just don't seem to care when it comes to interviewing with a potential job. AGH!

Tomorrow's my Friday and I'm EXTREMELY excited to go up to Washington to see my auntie as well as cousins :) My cousin, Kendall, is a Senior in high school and he has a really huge football game this weekend. Not to mention, October 23rd is my cousin Alexandra's birthday...which happens to be the day I'm going up there. I've been in desperate need for a vacation & this is definitely is going to appease the need to get away from work!

Ok, time for bed... my sleepy pills are kicking in!

0 comments: