Monday, March 28, 2011

Coffee, anyone?

It's kinda funny..when you think of coffee, you probably thing in terms of Starbucks, or even your favorite local coffee shop. There's a bit of convenience when you're able to walk in, order what you want and it's all set for you and you're on your merry way to do whatever it is you need to do. Or, you might have your own instant coffee maker sitting on your kitchen counter..I know I have a Senseo that I use from time to time, but no where near as much as I used to. So, what would people back in the day do in terms of getting their daily fix? They didn't have all these fancy machines that grind everything up instantly ... in fact, they had one of these spiffy lil guys:

It's an old school coffee grinder!


This is actually one of the cooler ones I've come across since I've been here. Most of the grinders I come across are super dinged up, missing pieces, or are way too expensive. Given, this guy wasn't all that cheap, but this is the first one in two years I've found that's looked WAY different from all the rest.

I was really diggin' the metal support for the handle:


Here's the cool part...the doors to the area where you pour the coffee beans separate. I know, I know..how else are you gonna get the beans in there to grind? Well, all the other ones I've seen don't have tops like this...they look more like this:


So, I think it's pretty cool that this doesn't look like the standard style! 


The grinder wheel looks like it's in pretty good condition, other than showing some sign of age and wear. I have no intention on ever using it, but it's nice to know there aren't loose party rattling around in on the inside.


The whole assembly looks to be pretty nice; mainly dowels holding it together rather than nails or rivets.


Plus, this is the first one I've come across that has a tension loaded drawer so it ensures that it'll stay closed rather than fall out if you're transporting it some where. It sounds stupid, but after looking at a ton of these lil things, the slightest differences make or break when it comes to snagging something.

So, yup. That's my score for this weeks trip to the antique store. I think  I'll be taking a little hiatus from them for a bit since I need to save up for an upcoming trip over to Poland. Momma needs her money for pottery! :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

How cute are you!!! I think that this is one of my favorite blogs from you :) I love all the pics and all the little detail. You totally inspired me today :) xoxo