Sunday, August 2, 2009

Smash & Grab


A few weeks ago, I was browsing on kbyardsales.com , which is a site where military peeps can sell / buy stuff.. it's really beneficial when you're PCSing (Permanent Change of Station) because you can land some pretty good deals, or sell stuff when you're in a hurry. When I was checking stuff out, I was mainly looking for some DVD's and what not since the nearest BX to us is 45 minutes away in The Netherlands ; half the time they don't have anything in stock. Well, I ending up looking at the furniture section, which someway...somehow... I ended up on RamsteinYardSales.com . Remember, I'm in Belgium, lol. Ramstein AFB is in Germany.. and that's a good three hour drive from us. As I was pluggin' around, I found a link for a German Oak Wardrobe.. clicked on it and checked it out. Oh man, I instantly fell inlove with it! At the time, Eric was TDY at Ramstein, so he was able to see it in person to figure out if it'd even be worth the time / effort to pick it up. When he saw it in person, he instantly told the guy "SOLD!", so that tells me it had to be pretty nice for Eric to hop right to it.
Two weeks go by and it's time for us to pick it up. We were basically giving the guy extra time to have the wardrobe since he's selling EVERYTHING before he moves back to the states for his retirement.

Friday night, Eric and I hit the road to Germany. I'm in the Xterra and Eric's in a truck that he borrowed from one of his co-workers. By the time we show up at our friends house, it was 10pm. Mind you, we were already tired from getting up early as is... I barely set my purse down on their kitchen table when they said "OK! We're going to the bars. You're coming!". Eric and I were both wearing scrubby ass clothes, looked like hell and were tired..lol. Yeah, we looked primed and ready for drinking in public. We hit up "The Dublin", met up with a friend of Dustys and got goated into drinking Jager-Bombs, lol. I had a shot of Tequila that totally burned my stomach, but hey, I didn't pay for it, hahahaa. I gotta say, it was interesting to do some people watching considering some of the gals there were complete hot messes.. it was BAD! I mean BAAAAAAAAAD! We ended up crawling into bed at 2am, which sucked since we got up at 7am to start the whole monkey business of getting the wardrobe.

Here's a quick bulletin of everything else that we managed to squeeze in yesterday:

- Coffee at Ramstein in which Eric got a black and white mocha; 5 shots of espresso in it. Yes, it can be lethal.

- Hit the Commissary up for new recycleable bags since Schinnen doesnt sell THAT particular one.

- Rolled out to get the wardrobe.. it was located somewhere in the hills, lol. The guy was a total sweetheart and very very helpful.
- Ran back over to Vogelweh, picked up some coveted DVD's that we "needed", then hit the road for one last swipe at Ramstein. Once we were done there, we were off to Belgie!
Here's some various pictures I took while we were on our way to get the wardrobe.

After our whole journey home, here's picture of the new wardrobe that we managed to score :) I'm REALLY happy about it considering this is something we can keep for a long time, even when we move back to the states. It wasn't really that hard to assemble.. it's just the sheer size that seems daunting, lol. By the way, Eric's 6 foot, 3 inches... the wardrobw is 7 feet tall and 9 feet long, 2 feet deep.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that you both can fit into it! Thanks for all the pics!