Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dumbasses.

I think my son saw his life flash before his eyes....

Lemme explain...

This morning, I woke up at 5am on the dot, went about my usual routine and got John up at 6am since Eric needed to sleep in. How often do I say that my husband "NEEDED" to sleep in? Yeah.. it's usually a "want", not a "need". Anyway.. Woke John up and he stumbled around for a wee bit then I headed off to the gym. I got back around 8ish and Eric was still sleeping, but he managed to wake himself up enough to mumble something about a field trip. Say what? A field trip? Apparently John was given a permission slip on Monday...LAST WEEK.. regarding a field trip that his class was gonna go on. When was the trip supposed to be? Oh. Today. Hum.  Kinda funny how he didn't mention it to neither one of us for the last week and a half..

So, John pretty much waited till the last minute (literally) to show Eric the permission slip...in the dark...with his school taxi waiting for him out front. Genius, right? By the way... Johns school is an hour away and in another country..the permission slip stated that once the kids are back from the field trip, their parent has to pick them up at 5:30pm. Eric managed to atleast tell John "You're not allowed to go on the trip because you waited till the last minute. If you gave us this last week, we could've arrainged a ride for you.".  Although, he wrote a note on the back of the slip saying that if John can't stay behind with a class for kids that werent allowed to attend the trip..just call him and he'll come and pick John up. Eric never got a phone call, so he assumed that John was ok and had class.

Fast forward to me getting off at work. I got off at 6:15pm and I had texted Eric earlier in the afternoon asking him if John had made it home yet. I didn't get any sort of text back letting me know what was going on.. so I was pretty much in "knowledge limbo" cause I didn't know what was going on. I tried  calling the house... no answer...hmmmmm... I went ahead and hit the treadmill for a mile just for the sake of knocking it out so I can head on home. Once I was done with my mile, I called the house again. Still no answer....not good. I called Eric's cell and no answer there..great.... tried the house again and let it ring and ring..no answer. FRICK. FRICK FRICK FRICK FRICK FRICK! At this point, my husband isnt answering his cell phone, the work phone number I have for him isnt working.. and my kid isn't answering the home phone, which means he isnt' home. I hop in my truck and head to the house... I gotta say, I must've made record time. On the way home, I dialed the house line again..put the cell on speaker phone and let it ring JUST INCASE John happened to be outside with the dogs. No answer. UGH! I hang up once I'm within 5 minutes from the house... I drive down my street and I can see his bedroom window from the road..the light isn't on which makes me think "Fuck, he's really not home."..I pull into the driveway and drive past the living room window. BAM. There's John. I went from relieved to enraged.

Once I get into the house, I ask him how long he's been home...."Oh, I've been home for 2 hours now." ...he didn't answer the phone cause he had his music blaring in his room while he was playing his Xbox 360. My blood pressure spiked even more. He blew it off like it was no big deal...blah blah blah... and that's when all I heard was white noise and I exploded.

His lack of being considerate and responsible about his field trip wasn't just an "Oh, my bad" type of thing.. it's like tossing a little pebble in pond..there's ripple effects. He ended up going on the field trip even though he didn't have a way to get home. I've given him my cell phone number on multiple occassions, but he's lost it every single time. So, what would he have done if he didnt "just so happen" to catch a ride home with a friend? He would've been at the school...sitting and waiting. The school has our home number, but now I need to update them with my office number as well as our cell phones JUST IN CASE. Then he tells me that someone from the school would've gotten ahold of me somehow... right..but consider this:  That staff member has already had a full day...but now they're having to babysit a student pretty much till their parent arrives since the child is on school property. So, this persons day is getting held up even longer due to poor planning on someone elses part.

Truth be told, I pretty much exploded since John was so "la dee da" about the whole thing... once I explained the WHOLE picture and all the things that're involved: me taking off from work early to get him if he had planned it out right verses me dropping everything I'm doing at 7pm to drive an hour one way to get him.. I wouldn't be angry like this. Then he tells me that Eric called him earlier in the afternoon from work when he had just gotten home from school...so that's nice to know that Eric was AWARE of John making it home safe and didn't say shit to me to lemme know. Thanks babe...greatly appreciated....

I think John has figured out now that if he pulls this again, he's not going on the field trip..even if it's a graded assignment. His emergency doesnt mean it's mine or Eric's emergency...plan things better, don't procrastinate and be considerate! Ugh!


Yesterday morning...I didn't work out last night since I went to movie night on base to see "Law Abiding Citizen" with Eric and John:

E - 1.75 miles, 21:42 minutes and burned 240 calories

Ab machine - 25x 4 , 50lb
Low back extension - 25x 3 , 60lbs
Horizontal leg press - 25x 3 ,55lb
Arm extension - 12x 3, 30lb
E - 1 mile, 12:37 minutes and burned  139 calories


This morning:
Elliptical- 2.25 miles, 29:02 minutes and burned 319 calories
Ab machine - 25x 5 , 50lb
Hip abductor (in) - 25x4, 50 lbs
Hip abductor (out) - 25x4, 50lbs
Pull over - 25x3, 45 lbs
Lat zug - 25x3, 21kg
E - 1 mile, 12: 31 minutes and burned 138 calories

Tonight
T- 1 mile, 20:01 min utes and burned 163calories

* I would've done more tonight for a workout, but when NO ONE was answering the house phone..that's when panic started to set in and I was freakin' out that I had to drive to The Netherlands to get John..

2 comments:

Kaysie said...

Ahhh! My younger brother would do this to my parents all the time when he was John's age. He's just now starting to realize the ramifications of his actions, and he's 25! I love the title of this blog btw. It totally all makes sense now ;)

Unknown said...

How many people can say they wake up in one country and go to school in another....I'm sorry for all thre grey hairs from his actions. "Lack of planning on your part does NOT consititute and emergancy on my part" Tell him that :)